During most months you can take the Ios to Kythnos ferry 3 days a week using Zante Ferries. During August though, there may not be any direct ferries. This guide has everything you need to know about island hopping from Ios to Kythnos in Greece.
Ios Kythnos Ferry Route
The only way to get from Ios to Kythnos is by ferry. During the summer, there are 3 ferries a week from Ios to Kythnos, although some years, the Ios – Kythnos ferry may not run during August.
While the ferries run during the high season, there may not be any ferry companies sailing at all on this route during winter. If you need to get from Ios to Kythnos in off season, or there is no ferry company operating on the day you want to travel, you could consider going via another island first such as Syros.
Your route would look like: Ios to Syros (where you would change ferry), then Syros to Kythnos.
You can check ferry schedules at: Ferryscanner
Ferry Companies Ios – Kythnos
The ferry operators who do offer ships that sail directly from Ios to Kythnos include Zante Ferries, and SeaJets.
Zante ferries offer the most reliable services, although the travel times can be quite long at 8 hours as they use a conventional ferry.
SeaJets normally have a high speed ferry, but its schedule is sporadic at best. You can expect this Sea Jets crossing to be the more expensive.
Kythnos Island Travel Tips
A few tips for traveling between these two Cyclades islands and how to spend time on Kythnos:
- Ferries depart from the main port of Ios located at Gialos. It’s recommended to arrive at ports an hour before your ship is due to depart, although a half hour before departure is probably fine at Ios.
- Ferries arrive at Merihas port in Kythnos. Passengers are normally notified by loud speaker in the ship 5 minutes or so before it’s due to dock.
- For hotels in Kythnos, have a look at Booking. They have a great choice of rooms to rent in Kythnos and areas to consider staying include Merichas, Chora (Messaria), and Loutra. If you are traveling to Kythnos in the busiest months for travel, I advise reserving places to stay in Kythnos a month or so in advance.
- Readers recommend visiting the following beaches in Kythnos: Gaidouromantra, Apokrousi, Kolona, Aliki, Agios Stefanos, Loutra, and Agios Sostis.
- One of the best places to look at all the ferry companies that sail between Ios and Kythnos and for booking tickets online is at Ferryscanner. I suggest you book your Ios to Kythnos ferry tickets in advance, especially during the tourist season.
- You might also like to read: Islands near Ios
How to travel from Ios to Kythnos FAQ
Visitors who want to get to the Greek island destination of Kythnos directly after spending time on Ios often have a few similar questions to ask:
How do you get to Kythnos from Ios?
You can only travel from Ios to Kythnos by using a ferry. There are up to 3 ferries per week in most months, but in August there may not be any sailing to the island of Kythnos from Ios.
Is there an airport in Kythnos?
There is no airport in Kythnos, so the only way to get from Ios to Kythnos is by taking a ferry. The nearest airport to Kythnos is at Athens.
How many hours is the ferry from Ios to Kythnos?
The ferry trip to the Greek island of Kythnos from Ios takes between 6 hours and 8 hours. Ferry operators on the Ios Kythnos route may include Zante Ferries, and SeaJets.
Where do I buy ferry tickets to Kythnos?
I find that the Ferryscanner website is the best place to book ferry tickets online. Although I suggest you book your Ios to Kythnos ferry tickets in advance, you could also wait until you are in Greece, and use a travel agency.
If you’re looking to get from Ios to Kythnos by ferry, this article has everything you need to know. We’ve provided information about the Ios Kythnos ferries schedule, recommended travel tips for island hopping in Greece and more!
Any questions? Leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to help!